Monday, July 9, 2012

Hidden


Higgs Boson: Physicists See Best Proof Yet of 'The God Particle'

I was following the news about the announcement of the Higgs-Boson particle, not just because it’s called the “God Particle” (although that is kinda cool) but because I try to keep up with science’s search for the truth, believing it parallel’s theology’s search for the truth.  And even though I know that Jesus is the “way, the truth and the life;” I also know he himself asked: “What is truth?”

[wait, this is getting a little preachy, isn’t it?! must be sabbatical’s fault]

So I was following the Higgs-Boson announcement on twitter/ Internet/ TV/ newspapers and found this quote:

"This is just the beginning," says James Gillies, a spokesman for CERN. Scientists will keep probing the new particle until they fully understand how it works. In doing so they hope to understand the 96 percent of the universe that remains hidden from view. This may result in the discovery of new particles and even hitherto unknown forces of nature.

Did I read that right?  96%? Hidden? They think we’ve only discovered 4% so far?

And I love that phrase, ‘hidden from view.’  It makes me think of the world I live in as both mysterious and yet ascertainable… as if all we have to do is KEEP LOOKING! Look closer. Look longer. Keep looking!

Holy moly, time’s a-wastin’! Let’s get going, people, there is so much to discover. We’ve hardly scratched the surface.



And here I thought I knew just about everything.


1 comment:

  1. Leon Lederman, who wrote the book that coined the phrase "God Particle", originally intended to call it the "God-dxxm Particle" expressing a bit the frustration at how little is really known about the universe. Naturally, the publisher rejected that title.

    ReplyDelete